A Mad Man

Vanity of all Vanities, all is Vanity

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Cheese - Red Leicester

An English Cheese - Red Leicester
I have always been a cheese lover, cheddar was my first love, for it was the most common cheese available. My colleague, many moon's back, introduced me to varieties other than cheddar after I started working. Red leicester was something that I kinda liked, since it is so similar to cheddar, only slightly more orange in colour. Annatto, aparently a very common food colouring extracted from the seed of the achiote tree, found in the Caribbeans, added to the typical cheddar taste, a peppery nutmeg edge. It made in more interesting that the more cheddar.

I came across this McLelland's at the supermarket today, and decided to pick it up. I was particularly surprised at how smooth the taste came out to be, especially if it is parted with a medium bodied red, which I conveniently have a bottle on hand. I find this cheese best at room temperature rather than when it is harder, coming out straight from the fridge. Certainly it is a perfect accompaniment to a late night cap before bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment